Winchcombe was reached from Honeybourne on the 1st February 1905, but only the down platform was initially opened; the up section required by the contractors finishing the line to Cheltenham. This meant that up services crossed onto the up line shortly after leaving the down platform.
The station was provided with significant goods facilities, which meant that goods traffic which had previously been taken to Beckford on the Birmingham-Gloucester loop could now be loaded closer to home. Winchcombe often stabled race trains working excursions for Cheltenham Racecourse. Administration for Gretton Halt and, from 1931, Gotherington, was also carried out from Winchcombe.
Winchcombe closed to passengers on 7th March, 1960,and to goods on the 2nd November, 1964. On the 25th August 1976, a down freight train derailed east of the station resulting in the closure and removal of the line.
Today, Winchcombe is the second station on the Gloucester Warwickshire Railway, and is home to much of the company's rolling stock. Because the station buildings had been demolished by 1964, the GloucsWarks Railway purchased and rebuilt Monmouth Troy station on the site of Winchcombe Station.