Stratford & Midland Junction Railway Timeline


The East & West Junction Railway line between Towcester and Stratford-Upon-Avon is authorised.


The section between Fenny Compton and Kineton is opened.

July 1873

The line to Stratford is completed, but having no station facilities of their own, the E&WJR is forced used the town's GWR station.

June 1873

The Evesham, Redditch and Stratford-upon-Avon Junction Railway is authorised to run from Broom Junction to the E&WJR at Stratford.


The E&WJR station in Stratford opens.

June 1879

The ER&SJR opens.

April 1891

The Stratford-Upon-Avon, Towcester and Midland Junction Railway opens.


Having proved to be a loss-making venture, the three lines are offered for sale. There are no takers.


The lines are merged to form the Stratford-Upon-Avon and Midland Junction Railway.


The SMJ becomes part of the LMS.


A south curve is installed at Broom Junction to aid wartime traffic.

June 1947

Having enjoyed success during both World Wars, the decline of the line begins with the withdrawal of passenger services between Broom and Stratford.

April 1952

Passenger services from Stratford to Blisworth are withdrawn.


A link between the SMJ and the Stratford-Cheltenham line is built. Now surplus to requirements, the section between Stratford and Broom is closed.

March 1965

The section between Stratford and Burton Dassett is closed, leaving a short spur to Fenny Compton for use by the MoD.

voe001003.gif voe001003.gif voe001003.gif voe001003.gif voe001003.gif voe001003.gif voe001003.gif voe040004.jpg voe040003.jpg voe040002.jpg voe001003.gif voe001003.gif voe001003.gif voe039001.jpg