From the Vale of Evesham's point of view, the main Gloucester to Birmingham line was not very useful as it bypassed the fruit and vegetable growing areas of the vale. It took three companies to rectify the problem and by 1868 a loop from Barnt Green to Ashchurch, both on the Birmingham - Gloucester line, had been built, taking in a lot of the Vale of Evesham.
Evesham was a now a major player in the railways of the area, with two stations and exchange sidings between the GWR and Midland Railways. A through link came late in the day, and was mainly for diversions off the Stratford to Cheltenham line. By 1963, the line south of Redditch had closed, leaving Evesham with only one railway line serving it.
Today, only the Redditch to Barnt Green section survives, as part of Birmingham's Cross City line. The rest is either trackbed, reclaimed for agricultural use, or developed (the author's residence being built on the old trackbed just east of Evesham Midland Station). However, Ashchurch station has been recently re-opened, although like Honeybourne, it has been reduced from a junction station to an unstaffed halt, serving the main Birmingham to Bristol line only. The amount of development on the trackbed south of Redditch renders it extremely unlikely that the line will be ever be restored.