Gotherington was opened on 1st June 1906 and was a medium-sized station on the line, more significant than some of the halts, but not boasting the facilities of Toddington and Winchcombe; a goods loop and one siding being provided for freight. There were high expectations of the station which never really materialised and from 1923, it lost its administrative independence; firstly to Bishop's Cleeve, and then to Winchcombe in 1931. By January 1941, it was officially a "Halt".
The goods facilities were closed on the 3rd April 1949, and the halt closed to passengers on the 13th June 1955. The station is now in private hands, and has been restored to its former glory (it is occasionally opened to the public during G-WR gala events). Although the original station is not used by the Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway, the railway has built a halt here, and has now opened a passing loop just south of the station.