Tintern - Railways of the Forest of Dean

Title
Go to content
Tintern
Tintern was opened in November 1876 and was the largest railway complex on the line. This was mainly due to the anticipation that with the famous abbey, the station would become a major destination for tourists to the Wye Valley, and the station was the destination of many "Abbey Excursions" during the railway's lifetime. The station was also given "Camping Coach" facilities before World War II, which lasted until the line's closure.

Unfortunately the tourist trade was never as great as anticipated and the station closed with the line. Today, the station area forms a picnic area and a tourist information centre.
Back to content