St Mary's Halt, Severn and Wye/Dean Forest Railway Stations - Railways of the Forest of Dean

Title
Go to content
Image Not Available
Image Not Available
St Mary's Halt
Like Norchard, St Mary's Halt is a station that was not part of the original Severn & Wye Railway. The halt serves the church it takes its name from and the Lydney Lakeside park. The footbridge found at the halt is a remnant of the Severn & Wye era, dating from 26th September, 1892, and has been re-opened after restoration in early 2019.

Originally called Lydney Lakeside on opening in 1991, St Mary's Halt was at one point the southern end of the Dean Forest Railway, which explains the passing loop now used as a siding.  The halt was taken out of use in November 2013, partly due to a decline in passenger usage since the re-opening of Lydney Town station, and partly due to trespass issues (although the Dean Forest Railway isn't ruling out re-opening the halt in the future).   
Back to content