Milkwall station is damaged by fire, resulting in a long-overdue upgrade of facilities.
Additional station facilities at Coleford are approved.
Despite the economy measures since 1922, another loss is reported this year. With passenger traffic dwindling due to road competition, the decision is taken to remove passenger services north of Lydney Town.
Cinderford Signal Box is taken out of use, and Drybrook Signal Box is converted to a ground frame.
Staff economies are put into effect, but only six men are made redundant.
Due to demand, problems are occurring with wagon stabling at Lydney, with additional sidings at three collieries being recommended as a solution.
The withdrawal of passenger services north of Lydney takes effect. Although there are some protests, research shows that passenger traffic, never vast at the best of times, has dwindled to almost nothing, and the closures take place as planned. Apart from a few "specials", there will be nothing resembling a regular passenger service north of Lydney for over 50 years.
The line between Tufts Junction and Parkend is singled, with the "Down" main line between Tufts and Whitecroft becoming a siding. Whitecroft signal box is also taken out of use.
A Saturday passenger service between Lydney and Parkend is considered, but nothing comes of this.
Auto trailers are first used on the Lydney Town to Berkeley passenger services.
The Second World War sees the Forest of Dean used for ammunition storage with Moseley tunnel becoming a storage point. The Mineral loop is broken in May 1942 but track is relaid in December 1943. By the end of the war, all the collieries along the Mineral Loop have closed and the military depot is providing the sole traffic for the line.
The Mineral Loop is broken at Moseley Green and the line south of this point is closed as far as Pillowell.
GWR railcar number 7, as part of a Gloucestershire Society Rail Tour, becomes the last passenger train over Lydbrook Viaduct.
The line between Serridge Junction and Cinderford Junction is closed.
The remainder of the Mineral Loop is closed apart from the section between Pillowell and Whitecroft.
The North section of the Lydbrook Branch is closed from Mierystock to Lydbrook Junction. The remainder of the branch is retained for traffic from Arthur and Edward Colliery.
The Pillowell-Whitecroft section of the Mineral Loop is closed.
Passenger services from Cinderford along the Forest of Dean Line are withdrawn.
The withdrawal of passenger services along the Ross-Monmouth line ends passenger services to Lydbrook Junction. Goods services from Lydbrook Junction to Monmouth are also withdrawn.
A petrol tanker collides with the Severn Railway Bridge killing five people and demolishing two spans of the bridge. This effectively spells the end for the remaining passenger services out of Lydney and the bridge is demolished by 1970.
The closure of Arthur and Edward and Cannop Collieries removes remaining traffic north of Speech House Road Ironically, this section had just been resignaled, and apart from a few specials, the only trains to use the new signalling are the trains demolishing the line.
The section between Coleford Junction and Speech House road is closed.
The remaining goods services from Lydbrook Junction to Ross are withdrawn, ending the life of the station.
Lydney Engine shed is closed. Steam services are withdrawn over the next couple of years.
The closure of Princess Royal Colliery results in the closure of the Oakwood Branch.
Despite attempts to save it, Lydbrook Viaduct is demolished.
Cinderford Station closes to goods traffic. The station is demolished by 1968.
The Coleford Branch is closed, with any remaining goods traffic being brought by road to Marsh Sidings near Parkend