The Severn & Wye Railway and Canal Company was formed primarily to transport coal and iron ore from the centre of the Forest of Dean to outlets such as Lydney. Starting life as a horse-drawn tramway, it was converted to a railway in the middle of the 19th Century. Passenger services were introduced fairly late in the railway's history, but were never overly successful and regular passenger services north of Lydney Town were discontinued in 1929.
Today, most of the line has been removed apart from the Lydney to Parkend section which has been re-opened by the Dean Forest Railway. A lot of the remaining trackbed has been converted to cycleways, but as of early 2016, proposals to extend the DFR to Speech House Road have been drawn up.
Principle Collieries served by the Severn & Wye
Speech House Hill
Arthur & Edward
The timeline has been divided into six parts.
Abbreviations used : S&W - Severn & Wye, SBR - Severn Bridge Railway, GWR - Great Western Railway, MR - Midland Railway, DFR - Dean Forest Railway.