The station was built in 1876 and originally called Bigsweir after the neighbouring bridge. It was then decided that the station should be named after a village and so in 1909 it became St Briavels and Llandogo. The name was shortened to St Briavels in 1927.
The station had goods facilities and a signal box, as well as the only level crossing on the line. The station and goods buildings can still be seen today.