Newnham - Railways of the Forest of Dean

Title
Go to content
Newnham
Newnham was on the main line to South Wales from Gloucester, and although not technically part of the FoD branch, it was the logical terminus for passenger services along the branch. Opened around 1857, for twenty years it was to serve most of Forest of Dean as a railway station, until the Severn & Wye started passenger services to Cinderford.

The station was altered on introduction of FoD passenger services, with a bay platform provided for branch services, although the lack of a crossover to provide "up" trains direct access to the bay did cause problems, but since most passengers were travelling on to Gloucester, the use of Newnham's main "up" platform by "up" FoD services was not a big problem as this put them on the correct platform for the Gloucester connections. The extension of services northwards to Grange Court in 1913 reduced the use of the bay.

Newnham station is no longer open.
Back to content