Image Not Available
Currently, the southernmost terminus of the Dean Forest Railway, in the heyday of the Severn & Wye, Lydney Junction was the focus of several railways, the Severn & Wye, the Severn Bridge Railway and the main line from Gloucester to South Wales. Now, only the South Wales line and the DFR remain, but with Lydney main line station still open, this is the best place to join the DFR if you are coming by train.
Lydney Junction was primarily an interchange for goods wagons with the Great Western Line from Gloucester to South Wales. Station Buildings were provided in 1874, with the station being relocated to the curve towards Lydney in 1879 (the current DFR station being approximately on that site) with a footbridge to connect the Severn & Wye & Great Western Stations. A carriage and wagon shed was provided in 1880 located between the S&W and GWR stations.
To the north of the station were the locomotive sheds which dated from 1865 and closed in 1964. The lines the dock diverged to the west of the station, crossing the Great Western Line by a level crossing.
The Dean Forest Railway re-opened the station in 1996, and the platform currently acts as an "island", with trains able to use both sides.