July 1906

The advent of steam railmotors, as well as the downturn in freight, leads the GWR to reconsider passenger services on the branch from Newnham to Cinderford. Proposals are put forward for a service between Cinderford and Newnham (including an extension to the S&W's new station at Cinderford) and to make use of the dormant line from Cinderford to Micheldean Road.

November 1906

Construction begins on the branch's passenger stations and halts.

August 1907

Passenger services from Newnham to Steam Mills Halt are introduced

November 1907

Passenger services are extended to Drybrook Halt

April 1908

The FoD branch extension into the S&W's Cinderford Station is opened for passengers. With the FoD branch route to Gloucester being shorter, this proves detrimental to S&W passenger services; however, the FoD branch continues to use Whimsey for Cinderford goods services. Bilson Halt is closed for public use.

November 1908

Platform modifications at several stations is authorised.

September 1910

Auto-trailer working on the line is authorised.

1913/14

The new colliery at Staple Edge, Eastern United, begins to achieve large outputs, which the branch is able to take advantage of.

March 1914

A fairly serious accident occurs at Bilson involving an Auto-trailer; fortunately with no fatalities.

1917

The unused section from Drybrook Halt to Micheldean Road is lifted.

April 1917

Ruddle Road Halt is closed. It is removed in June 1920

March 1918

Some passenger services along the branch are withdrawn. Bilson Halt is re-opened.

1928

A quarry north of Drybrook is opened resulting in the reinstatement of the line from there to Drybrook Halt. However, traffic expectations are not reached.

The increases in freight on the branch are starting to cause problems at around this time.

July 1930

Passenger services between Cinderford and Drybrook Halt are withdrawn.

1932

Extra loops are provided at Bullo to ease the traffic congestion

1932-1937

Storage at Bullo continues to be a problem. New sidings at Northern United Colliery in 1937 do alleviate the problem somewhat.

August 1933

Bullo Cross Halt is damaged by fire.

June 1939

Another section of the line to Micheldean Road is ultilised as Hawthorns Tunnel becomes an explosives store.

June 1940

Lightmoor Colliery closes. At around this time, plans are proposed for a new industrial estate at Cinderford that will be served by the branch. Ironically the plans take another 40 years to be implemented, by which point the branch has been closed.

fod005001.jpg
Previous Part
fod005002.jpg
Next Part
Forest of Dean Branch Timeline Part 2
"Passengers as Well" (1901 - 1945)
Introduction/Home Page
GWR Webring Information
Bibliography
spheregreen2.png
Introduction/Home Page
GWR Webring Information
Bibliography
Introduction
spheregreen2.png
Contact Me
Introduction
Timeline Part 1
Timeline Part 2
Timeline Part 3
Timeline Part 4
Timeline Part 5
Google Map
Stations
Severn and Wye Railway
Introduction
Timeline Part 1
Timeline Part 2
Timeline Part 3
Google Map
Stations
Forest of Dean Branch
Introduction
Timeline
Google Map
Stations
Wye Valley Line
Introduction
Google Map
Stations
Lines from Ross-on-Wye
Forest of Dean Central Railway
Perrygrove Railway
fod001001.jpg
Introduction
Timeline Part 1
Timeline Part 2
Timeline Part 3
Timeline Part 4
Timeline Part 5
Google Map
Stations
Severn and Wye Railway
Introduction
Timeline Part 1
Timeline Part 2
Timeline Part 3
Google Map
Stations
Forest of Dean Branch
Introduction
Timeline
Google Map
Stations
Wye Valley Line
Introduction
Google Map
Stations
Lines from Ross-on-Wye
Forest of Dean Central Railway
Perrygrove Railway
The Railways