Coleford, Severn and Wye/Dean Forest Railway Stations - Railways of the Forest of Dean

Title
Go to content
Coleford (Severn & Wye)
The Severn & Wye opened the line to Coleford in 1879, eight years ahead of the GWR line from Monmouth. Situated at the south end of the town, the S&W station facilities were basic compared to the GWR station built in 1883, and despite a serious fire in July 1918, the station facilities were not upgraded until 1924, five years before the passenger services on the S&W were halted north of Lydney. For some unknown reason, the idea of moving into the GWR station which had been abandoned at the end of 1916 was never implemented for unknown reasons.

The relationship between the S&W and GWR was not brilliant, with the provision of connecting sidings being delayed as long as possible (a condition of both lines was that through bookings and facilities should be provided when the connection between the two lines was completed). Although the GWR was beaten to Coleford, it provided the far superior facilities, suggesting that in the case the S&W made the mistake of thinking that because they were first, they would be favoured. The purchase of the S&W by the joint committee of the GWR and MR eased thing a little, but by the beginning of the First World War, interchanging between the two lines was still difficult.

The closure of the GWR line in 1916 left the S&W with the section of line between Coleford (GWR) Station and Whitecliff Quarry to operate. The junction with the GWR line was rather complex and required at least four reversals; however, it was not until 1951 that the complex arrangement was eased for the Whitecliff Quarry traffic.

The Coleford branch closed in 1967 and today the site of the Coleford stations is a car park, although the old S&W goods shed has been converted into a railway museum.
Back to content